Running with the Bears: An August Boston Qualifying Race for Charity. Join Our Elite Team!Become a Running with the Bears Charity Runner and Make The Difference!! RWTB is a fundraiser for Mountain Circle Family Services Inc, a 501c3 non-profit foster care and adoption agency; we are proud to be one of the few Boston Qualifiers managed entirely by the Charity it benefits.
How YOU can make an impact: Every single day, our team serves nearly 100 foster care children, youth, and their caregivers.
- $50 means that a foster child can attend afterschool sports or dance lessons
- $150 buys emergency clothing for a child who comes in with nothing
- $600 provides an older youth with an outdoor leadership adventure weekend- check out the short video!
- $1,000 pays for the certification fees for ten foster parent families
- $2,000 pays for 24/7 support by a trained Social Worker to a foster family for a whole year
Charity Runners who raise over $500 receive Race Registration (if you’re not registered yet), a complimentary Post-Race Hoedown ticket, special Goody Bag, tech socks, and a Running with the Bears Sweatshirt!
Become a Charity Runner. You can meet them all HERE!
How do I become a Charity Runner?
- The Charity Division is still OPEN! How the Charity Division Works: As a Charity Runner, you are GUARANTEED a spot in the race of your choice, however, you must commit to raise (or donate) at least $500 by August 1, 2016. Don’t worry, you are now part of the Bears team, and we will support you every step of the way! If you are unable to raise the minimum by this date, you will still get to participate in the race, and your credit card will be billed for the difference. Most Charity Runners tell us that fundraising for foster children is very meaningful and that their supporters (and often employers) were happy to contribute! YOU are making an impact on the lives of these incredible kids, and your boss, friends, family, and running buddies will want to support you! Not yet registered? You can still get a page, just go HERE.
- Set up your fundraising page with your photo and a little about yourself, then email, facebook, or twitter the link to your friends. Ask them to donate $5, $20, or $26.2! Most participants tell us that they were surprised how happy their friends were to support them. If you’d prefer to just donate yourself, you can send a check to Mountain Circle (P.O. Box 554 Greenville CA 95947)* Be sure to ask your employer to match! Many companies have matching programs in place and this amount will go towards your fundraising goal.
- We keep track of all fundraisers and donations. If you need a little support, just contact Josie to spotlight your page on facebook! Also, please join us at 6:30 p.m during the Pasta Dinner (Friday night) for a special ceremony!
*All contributions are 100% tax deductible.
Q – Is fundraising mandatory?
A – It is for the Charity Runner Division. This is our one annual fundraiser and you make all the difference! Plus, you never know who is so excited to support you!
Q – If I raise $500, am I guaranteed a spot in the race?
A – Yes! But you must reach this minimum by August 1st 2016.
Q – Once the races sell out, is there a wait list for regular entry?
A – No wait list, sorry. Spaces are only available for Charity Runners.
Q – I can’t make the race. Can I get a refund or transfer my bib?
A – Only if you have raised $500 as a Charity Runner.
Q – Can I switch races later on?
A – Of course! Just email your Race Director (me, Josie)
Q – I want to qualify for Boston. Can I do this as a Charity Runner?
A – Yes!
Q – I don’t want to race, but I’d love to raise money for this cause. May I gift my registration to someone else?
A – For sure. Just let us know who by August 1st. Note: This option is ONLY available to Charity Runners who have raised $500 or more. Regular registrations are not transferable. Set up your page HERE.
Q – Other Charity Races ask me to raise over $2,000- why only $500?
A – We may raise the minimum in future years. For now, we want to put on a great event and perhaps you’ll help us spread the word
Q – Where does the money go?
A – 100% of proceeds are used for our PowderQuest Program, an outdoor leadership adventure for foster care teens. Through RWTB, we raise enough money to provide travel, accommodations, and ski lessons to 30 foster youth, and their mentors, to Lake Tahoe- thank you!! These kids deserve it, and they will tell you all about it during the Pre-Race Pasta Dinner. All additional funds raised are used for our other services including camp tuition and educational expenses for foster care children. Any other questions, feel free to message or email me. Thank you, and we’ll see you in August!
Here’s A short film about our foster teens!
About Mountain Circle
Mountain Circle’s programs are effective: 100% of our residential youth are employed or enrolled full-time in school and some 94% remain so a year later – almost double the rate of more traditional foster care programs. Four years later, 95% of participants remain in contact with their job-site mentor and are employed at least part-time. We’re a small non-profit and every dollar makes a difference. THANK YOU!
Every day, our Social Workers and volunteers provide caring support and training to nearly 100 foster children, teens, and caregivers across California and Nevada. This event raises money for special items such as camp tuition, school clothes, additional medical care, and for our foster teens: outdoor leadership and job skills training. Our goal is to raise $50,000 for children and youth in foster care and you can help us do this by asking your friends and family to sponsor your race! You can even donate the money yourself. Along the course, you’ll meet the very Social Workers and foster teens that your fundraising is supporting – THANK YOU!!
Here’s a note from a foster teen to her foster mother on Mother’s Day…